Before you begin, make sure to back up your iMovie libraries, your media, and the iMovie app.
Try these troubleshooting steps in order
After trying each step below, test iMovie again to see if you've fixed your issue.
- Can't find iMovie? Then it's time to download the app. IMovie for iOS: iOS App Store iMovie for Mac: Mac App Store What you can do with iMovie. Even though it's squarely aimed at consumers and not.
- While you press and hold the Option key, click the iMovie app in the Dock or double-click the iMovie app in the Applications folder. In the Open Library window, click New to create a new library. Name the test library 'Test iMovie Library,' then save it to the Desktop.
- Hello, I am unable to download iMovie on my macbook pro 2017, although my software is fully updated. Can't download iMovie although software is fully update? Posted by 2 hours ago. Can't download iMovie although software is fully update? Hello, I am unable to download iMovie on my macbook pro 2017, although my.
Restart your Mac
I then went to the App store and went to 'buy' iMovie at the latest version, it then asked for my itunes password. After entering password it said it would be free as I already had iMovie previously. 20 minutes later after a download, I opened up iMovie and hey-presto, it has been updated and ITunes is available. Macbook Pro 2015, eveything works well with original OS until I upgrade it to Big Sur, it becomes bricks after the reboot, nothing shows on the screen except the apple logo on the top, the Apple Supports have no idea after one and a half hour call, they ask me to bring it to the store but unfortunately the stores only support online appointment.
If you use an external device with iMovie like a camera, reset NVRAM:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Disconnect all external devices other than your keyboard and your mouse.
- Reset NVRAM.
- Open iMovie and attempt to reproduce your issue.
- If iMovie works, reconnect devices one at a time until you can reproduce your issue. Restart your Mac after reconnecting a device if the device requires it.
- If iMovie still doesn't work, you might need to update your device's firmware or have the device serviced.
Update macOS and iMovie
How To Download Imovie On Macbook Pro 2012
Choose Apple menu > App Store, then click Updates. If an iMovie update is available, click Update to download and install it.
Check camera and media format compatibility
Make sure you're using a camera and media format that works with iMovie. If you can't find your camera listed or need further assistance, contact the manufacturer of the device for support.
If you're using a third-party video interface with your Mac, check with the manufacturer for firmware or other software updates for your device.
Test with a new library and project
You can create a new library and test project to check if the issue is with your library, project, or iMovie app. First, create a new library:
- Quit iMovie.
- While you press and hold the Option key, click the iMovie app in the Dock or double-click the iMovie app in the Applications folder.
- In the Open Library window, click New to create a new library.
- Name the test library 'Test iMovie Library,' then save it to the Desktop.
Next, create the test project using a built-in trailer template, then export it as a QuickTime video file:
- In iMovie, click Projects to return to the Projects view.
- Choose File > New Trailer, click the Action trailer template, then click Create.
- Choose File > Share > File, click Next, name the file 'Finish Line,' then save the video file to the Desktop.
Next, import the QuickTime video file into a new project in the new library:
- Click projects to return to the Projects view. In the window, click OK.
- Choose File > New Movie.
- Choose File > Import Media, then click Desktop in the Import window sidebar. Select the 'Finish Line.mov' file in the list, then click the Import Selected button.
- Select the clip in the browser, then press the E key to add the clip to the timeline.
- Try to recreate the issue you were having. For example, if iMovie quit when adding a transition, try to add a transition to the timeline.
If the new library and project work as expected, you've isolated the cause of your issue to the original library or project. Try to restore a previous version of the original library from a Time Machine or other backup.
Test iMovie with a new user account
Create another user account on your Mac, then test iMovie with the new user account.
Can't Download Imovie On Macbook Pro 2017
Can't Download Imovie On Macbook Pro 13.3
Reset iMovie to default settings. Libraries won't be affected.
Delete iMovie, then redownload and reinstall it. Libraries won't be affected.